Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bienvenue!

Since an art history paper three years ago brought me face-to-face with the academic connotations of social media, I’ve paid significantly more attention to blogs. Ones like Smitten Kitchen and Big Girls Small Kitchen taught me how to cook on a tight budget and tighter schedule; academichic chronicled dressing for academia (the degree to which I absorbed this information is highly debatable); CultureGrrl kept me informed of art historical happenings not always covered by newspapers. Add to that my brother’s sociological exploration into Bieber Fever, which made me think twice about dismissing the mop-haired tween heartthrob, and I was roped into the blogosphere.

But I did not think of starting one until last week, when a former professor suggested it over tea. They are so self serving, I told her. I don’t really want to know that my friend in Firenze just had the world’s best demitasse of expresso if my post-industrial midwestern existence cannot possibly come close to that. And what good is the information that making love in a water taxi is far better than doing it by the Brandenburger Tor, if readers can’t have either? But as we were leaving the café, she reminded me that I liked to write, and that a blog was an appropriate place for the flowery prose I loved so much.

So to justify this blogtastic experiment, I am trying to create something informative. Although I might share a few personal experiences from time to time, I am more interested in providing useful information for students and young professionals studying abroad and/or moving into new careers. Topics -- all attempting to show that France is much more than baguettes and turtlenecks -- will range from academic research, writing and the big grad school debate to cooking and eating on a budget, the Parisian slam poetry scene, perceptions of Americans abroad, and socializing in a new city. And if another relevant topic comes up, so be it.

And if blogs aren’t your thing, don’t read them.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite blogs (even smitten kitchen which I adore for all the obvious reasons) are entertaining to read. There are one or two that contain absolutely no information. They're stories from these women's lives, but they're well-written and interesting about interesting things. To me, it's no different than reading books for fun: sometimes you come away with knowledge or insight, but sometimes it's just there for the enjoyment.

    When we think of the Internet as a vehicle for entertainment, we might think mostly of pretty pictures and videos, but it's a great vehicle for words, and I've always found words entertaining. I want to learn about Paris, sure, but I also want to hear about your adventures! Because even if you were to write about the best places for public sex in Paris, you'd do it well. It'd be entertaining and amusing and probably have some greater, moving, meaning (knowing you!).

    Isn't reading a way to escape your earthly confines and get a glimpse into how others live?


    [[tl;dr: I miss you and want to read your stories!]]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you have a blog now! I will read it! You are my thing!

    ReplyDelete